Friday, March 1, 2013

Passion for Refashion

Now that I've built up some courage and experience with using a dress pattern, I've been furiously using up some fabric remnants in my stash to give the cupcake some new pretty spring dresses to wear. It may be snowing still here in Upstate NY, but we have some spring fever going on!

I decided to make good use out of the fabric leftovers from the baby doll bedding I made last month. I had just enough left to squeeze out this adorable dress using the same pattern from the valentines fox dress I made. The bow really gives it some personality.





In addition to using fabric remnants, I've even decided to try my hand at a dress refashion. I created this cute little maxi dress by using the skirt of one of my former summer dresses.





Of course, I didn't have the forethought to snap a picture of the dress before I started cutting into it. The dress, however, was your basic thin, adjustable strap V-bodice summer dress. The material is a soft, thin flannel. I decided to retire it because I hated how the front and sides would gape after I lost a good amount of weight. After several washes, the elastic also began to wear out, and it just wasn't a very flattering fit for me anymore.

Originally it was destined for donation, but I thought I would hang onto it to see if I could re-purpose the fabric. The grey, black, and white plaid is rather charming. I love how the maxi dress turned out. I used the same pattern again, but kept the original skirt length from my former dress. It's so simple and cute, and at the longer length it's almost more casual, too. I think the pockets on the front are my favorite part. Those pieces were the former front bodice of my old dress. Claire seems to be pretty charmed by the pockets, too. Let's hope they hold up!  :)

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a model in the making:




Claire is such a ham. She, too, is a big fan of her new dresses. Looks like I will be trying my hand at refashioning more clothes, and give my "donate" pile a better use! At the rate my little one has been growing out of her things, why not? Instead of giving it away for free, I am giving it new life and saving a few bucks in the same process. I don't know why I didn't think of that sooner, especially with how much I browse Pinterest. That place is a re-purpose Mecca!


Now my deep sentimental relationship can be about how adorable my four year old looks in my old "duds". Anyone else tried their hand at refashioning an old piece clothing? I know that I will never look at the Goodwill the same again!

No comments:

Post a Comment