Wednesday, March 20, 2013

House Update

Not much is going on here this week (that is blog-worthy, anyway), and to be honest I really struggled with writing a post today. It's also part of why I didn't post on Monday. I think all of the stress in packing and moving is coming to a head. I'm so ready for all of this to be done now! I've been up to my eyeballs in paperwork, and I've honestly felt so poorly about the grove of trees that now resemble our loan application. To counter balance this paper waste, I've made good use of our junk mail. I have been printing documents that require us to scan and send via email on the back side of fliers or paperwork that was destined for the recycle bin. In fact, this is a habit I picked up when printing coupons to save on waste. Obviously you don't want to do this for financial documents or anything you need to file. I keep my paper scraps organized in a tray by the printer so that I can easily feed them into my printer when printing coupons or papers that need to be scanned and emailed to our loan officer. Perhaps when we get moved and settled into our new home I will do a post on desk organization so you can see what systems work for us.



In other house news, the appraisal was completed on the home. Everything came back good concerning the value of the home, which was a sigh of relief,  but we did not have enough time to complete our other inspections before the contract deadline. We quickly submitted an extension on our contract, which is fine, but it will push back our close date. Womp, womp. We were excited about the prospect of closing on our home on the 29th, Good Friday, but some times these things happen. We still have enough time to move our things and get the rental cleaned up for turn over, but it would have been nice to have had extra time so as not to rush.

Our next big inspection is the home inspection which will take place on Thursday. We'll be driving down to Pa so that we can walk through the property with the home inspector, and hopefully he or she will be able to give us some keen insight on its condition. Our realtor has said that the inspection will take a good 3 to 4 hours, so we will have a ton of information to process. Maybe we'll even have a few pictures to post. :)

Image from www.lisatigerhomes.com

Despite a few minor setbacks, we're still very excited to soon be first time home owners. Mid-April can't come soon enough!

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations regarding the home inspection process? Is there anything that we need to do to prepare for the walk-through? I thought perhaps a pen and pad of paper to take notes would be helpful, but if any of you (all, like, 3 of you) reading this have been through the process, perhaps you might have some wisdom to share?




No comments:

Post a Comment