Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Weekend Blur

This past week has been a blur of activity for us. We had family come to visit for the holiday weekend, we celebrated my munchkins fifth birthday, and best of all my husband was able to take some leave from work so he could be here. In the nearly 2 months of being a homeowner, he had yet to spend one night in his own house. Crazy, huh? That's Army life for us, though, and we are thriving. I can't wait until he is home for good, though.

Birthdays are a big deal around here. I love to party in style and make the birthday person's day feel extra special. Every year I go all out on cake and decorations. It's just something I want to be memorable (and perhaps I am living vicariously through my five year old. It happens.).

This year was a blast despite the stress of moving. It was great to be able to celebrate with family as we have always been too far away for them to join us, and I am so glad that we were able to see everyone. My only regret from the day was that I didn't get to take many pictures since I was busy manning the Lemonader, flipping burgers, and refilling the chips and dip. It wasn't until after the cake when everyone had sat down to open presents that I was able to take a break and snap a few pictures. I'm hoping my friends and family are willing to share their moments with me so I can have some to remember the day and maybe share here. I doubt you all want to see a half-eaten purple ombre cake. :)

Birthday princess and her guests while opening presents

The kids enjoyed playing on Claire's new swing set.

After the Memorial Day weekend, our guests who had come to stay with us left to return home, and we got to spend a week with my husband before he had to go back to work. We had so much fun going on throughout the week that it just flew by, and before we knew it, it was over. Claire went to stay with Grammy and Pappy while I made the round trip trek to New York and back yesterday (which is why I am late with my post). Of course I took advantage of a kid-free house and decided to get a few things knocked out.

Here are some of the fun things we accomplished last week:

Self-assemble adirondack chairs from Home Depot

Mini trellis from Lowes



Goodbye ivy. Hello ancient lamp post foundation. I've still got a lot of de-rooting to do with this patch, but eventually I hope to start a little rose garden here.

I happy to report that we are finally done moving-- nearly two months later! This afternoon I unpacked the car which was filled to the brim with the last of our stuff that was in storage in NY. What a relief to have that over with, and it's great to have discovered a few "missing" items. I also spent the evening in paint mode: priming the new adirondack chairs and painting Claire's closet. I was amazed at how productive I could be without a kiddo on my heels. I'll have to take advantage of more "Grammy and Pappy time" in the future!

So that's pretty much a recap of the craziness that has consumed my last week. I've got so much fun stuff to share with you this week, including more about my secret closet project and also some sprucing up going on on the front porch! Here's a hint!



I can't wait to see how the color I've chosen works out! It was hard to find something that both my husband and I could agree on (initially I was going to paint them white to avoid making a choice). Any guesses to what we went with? No cheating if you've seen my Pinterest!   I hope you all had a fabulous weekend. Did yours go by like a blur like mine did? 

No comments:

Post a Comment