Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Rock-a-bye Baby!

Stopping in with a quick spoiler of the first of many projects I've got going on before we pack up and move again. It's not challenging enough to have to house hunt, pack, clean, and manage daily life all at once, so I decided to add a ton of other things to my plate. Totally normal, right? I can get all of that done in 2.5 months. I think.

Anyway, my harebrained reasoning behind all of these extra projects is to help organize and eliminate  any extra clutter that may try to follow us to the next abode. You know what I mean. Those one, two, or twelve boxes of stuff that you didn't really miss (or forgot you had) the first few months of moving in before unpacking them. And so the next few weeks I will be challenging myself on eliminating what I can do without, completing unfinished projects before they get forgotten packed away, and ultimately cut down on useless clutter.

To kick things off, I decided to knock some of the things that have been on my project list for a while. My daughter has the cutest canopy doll bed, but the lackluster, cheap bedding it came with did not stand up to the rigorous play of a toddler. The Jill of all trades in me thought, "I can make a new bedding set. No problem." That's was almost two years ago. Awesome, huh?

Well, I am glad to report that I've finally gotten off my bum and started taking care of business. I had no idea what I was doing, but I am crafty enough to figure something out. I saved the old, tattered remnants of the ugly pink and white 90% polyester bedding that formerly dressed the canopy and sides. They were too far gone to provide a useful template, though, so I just decided to wing it. I have to tell you that I am loving the results. I'm not a professional anything-- especially when it comes to sewing. My $40 Craigslist sewing machine and I have learned a lot through trial and error. Some days more error than not. I've got several seam ripper tools handy for those days.

I haven't finished the blanket or pillow, yet, and I have the crazy notion to go above and beyond and make a mattress for it. Dolls got to sleep comfortably, too! If you're still reading my ramblings,  you're probably thinking, "Shut up, and show some pictures already!" Here you go.









Check back later this week to see the finished result!

No comments:

Post a Comment