Wednesday, December 5, 2012

That's Pinteresting!

The world of Pinterest, as you may know, is ripe with lots of holiday decorating ideas. This year I gleaned a few DIY inspirations that didn't cost me a dime! Hey, if it's free, it's me! Who doesn't love a project that they can complete with items they already have on hand?

I decorated my mantle early this year. Like, right after Halloween early. After Sandy had hit, my beautiful kaleidoscope of fall colors had been destroyed, and our neighborhood trees were totally bare. It was at that point I felt winter set in. The temps swiftly dropped, and we even saw a flurry or two. So down came my pumpkins and witches, and up went a winter inspired decor. The great thing is that it is not necessarily "Christmas" themed, so I didn't feel too bad about skipping over Thanksgiving (sorry, Mr. Turkey).




Don't you just love that wreath? I do. I made it last year for less than $5 thanks to the goodwill (where I found the wreath) and Hobby Lobby's 40% off holiday decor section (where I scored the greenery and bow). I took a red satin ribbon, looped it around  the top of the wreath, and secured it to the hanging wire on the back of the mirror.



I'm a huge Diana Gabaldon fan. Love her Outlander series with a passion. In fact, I had the pleasure to meet the author, and have her sign my prized copy of the book. It's no surprise that I would jump at the chance to feature a few selections from her to stack on my mantle, and I couldn't think of a title more appropriate to display. Call it fate. :)

If you haven't already recognized, my mantle project involves a nice little bag of Epsom Salt. I dipped several candles in it for that frosty effect, and also made a snowman urn.



Isn't frosty adorable in that little apothecary jar? Such a simple project, too! In fact, I made sure to take lots of pictures for a tutorial. If you check back tomorrow, you can learn just how I created him in all his bottled magic hat glory.



The candles were a very quick and easy project, and I intend to post a tutorial on those, too. I just love how the crystals glisten-- especially in the candle light.


The greenery is courtesy of our back yard-- a few small branches had fallen due to Sandy, and so I gathered them up and used them to balance the rosemary plant I placed on the opposite end of the mantle.

So there you have it! Our winter mantle. In  the next week or two, I'll be transitioning it into more of a Christmas mantle (since our family celebrates), but I love how it has that winter spirit without being too festive, which is a great alternative if you and your family don't celebrate Christmas.

Thanks for stopping by today, and be sure to check back tomorrow for a tutorial on how to make your very own snowman urn!

No comments:

Post a Comment