Thursday, December 6, 2012

Frosty on the Mantle

Winter is in the are here in upstate New York. And while the ground isn't covered in that white stuff just yet, it's quite frosty in the mornings. At least that's what my husband tells me. I don't get out of bed that early. :)

That nip in the air must have nipped me in the bottom, too, because today I was inspired to take down my fall mantle, and winterize it. Hurricane Sandy destroyed the gorgeous tree kaleidoscope we had going on in our neighborhood, and so I was no longer feeling the leaf motif.

I posted yesterday about our fall mantle and my penchant for using Pinterest as a decoration inspiration. Well, today I bring you a quick and easy tutorial for the snowman urn that didn't cost me a dime! This freebie decoration is so cute, and will be sure to make a charming addition to your holiday decorations. Let's start!


Here's what you'll need:

Epsom Salt (mine is scented with lavender oil, which is optional, but smells so nice)
Apothecary jar or Vase (a canning jar would probably look cute, too!)
Twigs
Hat (I stole ours from a felt snowman ornament)
Mitten (mine came from the scrapbook section)
Carrot nose (Thanks to Lego, I had the perfect carrot)
Scissors
Eyes (this is an option I left out, but you could easily add eyes with two peppercorns)



So first, you'll need a hat for your snowman. I clipped ours from an old felt snowman ornament. It was the perfect size. You can always clip your own from a piece of black paper or felt if you don't have a spare felt snowman handy.


Next, you'll want to gather the rest of Frosty's parts. The size of your jar will depend on how large you will want to make your accessories. I snapped a small twig to size for his arm, and used a felt mitten from a scrapbook decoration. The carrot came from my daughter's Easter Bunny Lego character. If you don't have the good fortune of owning one of these, a piece of felt will do. I would be careful of using paper, especially if you use a scented Epsom salt. The oils may absorb and discolor the paper.


Next, fill your jar with Epsom Salt, and let the decorating begin. Be sure not to fill your jar too full so you will have room to place Frosty's accessories on the top.



And there you have it! The perfect indoor snowman! Place it on your mantle, entryway table, or as centerpiece. I placed ours on the mantle to keep him safe from curious little fingers.



Cost breakdown? FREE! I didn't spend a dime on this project. If you have the materials and some creativity on hand, this quick and easy decoration won't cost you a penny. 

Stick around this week for another breakdown of how I used Epsom Salt to create beautiful, frosty, and FREE decoration project! If you've made your very own indoor Frosty, please share your project with me! I would love to see it or any other decoration inspiration you have. Thanks for hanging out with me today!

No comments:

Post a Comment