Monday, September 10, 2012

House Crashing: Boldt Castle Yacht House (part three)

Hope you all had an amazing weekend! We took the opportunity to get a few more projects done around the house, and I can't wait to begin blogging about them to you all!

We're coming down the home stretch with our very first house crashing post, featuring Boldt Castle located in the Thousand Islands region of upstate New York. We live in the local area, so it was great to check it out when my parents came up to visit for their camping vacation.

The last two days were spent covering our boat tour, the castle and Heart Island grounds, and finally today I bring you the Boldt Castle Yacht House. This place is just as grandiose as the castle, and the architecture is stunning. Inside, the building features a collection of boats that I believe belonged to the family or have significant importance to the area. We couldn't just walk over to the yacht house, however. We had to take a ferry as it was located on another island just on the other side of the river.




Look how expansive this building is. Isn't the woodwork on the ceiling just beautiful?


I don't know if many of you are that into boats, but the place is amazing and you should check it out if you ever get the opportunity. The other amazing part about this yacht house, is that it also included a small household quarters.


Look at those beautiful hard wood pocket ceilings and the ornate board and batten. Unfortunately this stairway was closed off to the public, so I have no idea what is upstairs. I believe the upper floor is still undergoing restoration.




The yacht house also had a nice dining  area. I am also unaware if the furnishings in the yacht house remain original to the property.


A second stairway leading to the upstairs. This was also closed off. I assume this would lead to bedrooms. It looked as though things were still undergoing renovation.



This little storage area was located beneath the parlor, and I thought it was in the funniest of places. It looked as though it had some pieces that either belonged to the yacht house or the castle, and were in the process of being restored.


After touring the yacht house, we waited to catch the next boat back to Heart Island so that we could catch the ferry back to the mainland. We sure did get our fill of boating that afternoon! My feet hurt and I was starving by this point, but we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Boldt Castle was truly a monument of love. It looks as though not a detail was spared. It's a shame that his wife died before work was completed. I don't believe the family ever lived on the property, as they had a summer home on Wellesley Island.

Here is a final shot of the yacht house as we made our way back across to Heart Island, and eventually home. Look how wonderful that tower must have been. I could imagine sitting up there on some wicker furniture with a lemonade and a beautiful view of Boldt Castle across the water.




I'd like to thank my parents who joined us for this amazing excursion. We had a wonderful time, and I came away so inspired by the beautiful rooms in both the castle and yacht house. Thank you, too, for coming along with us on a virtual tour. I'm sorry that I'm not exactly the best historian when it comes to this location, but they do have a website with an online tour that gives you lots of additional pictures, information, and family history of the Boldt family. If you ever find yourself in upstate New York, be sure to put Boldt Castle on your list of places to see!

House crashing has been fun, and I hope to be able to do more of it in the future. If any of you are familiar with this area or have suggestions of great places to see, please let me know! Until then, we'll be bringing it with more house projects. I've got a bunch of low-budget upgrades to feature, and it's almost time to start decorating our mantle for fall/Halloween! I can't wait to get into the spirit of the holidays! How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment